Social media, and to a larger extent the Internet, has become the new domain for marketing. If you're not marketing online, or don't have an online presence, your company is really missing out. Facebook, one of the most popular mediums of social networking and marketing has some great advantages for companies. Unfortunately, some people are out to cause harm and do this usually through posting damaging comments, or rude things on your wall. There is a way to control this however.
Here's how to delete posts and comments on your Facebook Page.
Delete a post or comment To delete a post:
- Go to your company's Facebook Page and scroll to the post you would like to delete.
- Hover your mouse over the top right-hand corner of the box containing the post.
- Press the Pencil and select Delete...
- Select Delete from the pop-up window that appears. You can also select Delete and Ban user which will delete the post and ban the user from posting on your wall.
- Go to your company's Facebook Page and scroll to the post that contains the comment you'd like to delete.
- Hover your mouse over the right-hand side of the comment until an X appears.
- Click on the X and the post will be removed and marked as spam.
When should I delete? In an ideal world, you wouldn't have to delete or remove any posts, simply because the idea of Facebook for businesses is to show the human face of companies and that they are worth interacting with. Some negative comments, when addressed correctly, can help illustrate that you care, and will go the extra mile to ensure people with issues have a way to communicate, and that your company values its relationships.
Sadly, this isn't an ideal world, there will be times when people post things that should be deleted. These include posts that:
- Are overly hurtful.
- Are hateful.
- Contain information or words deemed to be unacceptable by the local and professional community.
- Are so off topic they are useless.
- Sell other products, usually spam messages like: ‘Buy Gucci Bags only USD$11’.
What about mistakes and typos? Ideally, there shouldn't be any, but we're all human and we make mistakes. Facebook allows you to edit comments, which can be done by clicking on the pencil and selecting Edit. Beware that users will be able to see that edits have been made, as Edited is added below the comment. Currently, the only way to actually edit a post is to copy the content, delete the old post, repost it and then change the date back to the original post. This is hardly ideal, so it's better to be 100% sure about what you want to post and do a quick spell check before you do.
If you'd like to learn more about using Facebook to leverage your company's marketing potential, give us a shout.